Saturday, May 2, 2020

Considering a Camper for your Craft Space?

I wanted to give you a heads up on purchasing a camper for use as a craft room.  I think it's a good idea and I just want you to keep these things in mind.   I've never owned a camper and wasn't sure what to check.   I figured it's cheaper than purchasing a building, having it insulated, adding electrical and then a/c and heat.  You are right, it is cheaper but there can be a bit of frustration.   I think I've worked through all the issues and nothing has been major.  Here's just a list to consider.

Check the roof, even if they tell you the roof doesn't leak.  Leaks can sometimes be challenging to figure out exactly where the water is coming from.  I had a minor leak and it was coming in around the roof vent.  I figured it was a leak around the vent.  It was actually that the caulk on the edge of the camper was cracked.  It would come in there and then go to the lowest point to exit the roof which happened to be around the roof vents.   Now that I have caulked there seems to be no more water issues. I do plan on sealing the roof with a rubber coating once the temperature stays high enough and it quits raining.

The A/C unit.  Make sure it cools.   I tried mine and was only getting it to blow air, but not cold.  Well silly me, I had it on fan only.  The a/c works great. 

Lights!  I had to buy a new battery and made sure that with a battery the lights came on.  Well when I went out today the lights in the camper were very dim.  Appears that my inverter is bad.  That takes the electricity that I have plugged in and charges the battery.   I need to decide if it's worth spending the money on a new inverter or just getting a trickle charger to keep the battery charged.  My a/c works fine because that works off the plug in.  It's only the lights.   I'll do a little research and find out exactly how much the inverter will cost and then make my decision.

The camper was a great price and I do feel is cheaper than purchasing a building but plan on spending an additional $500 in extra expenses to get everything the way you need it.  

1 comment:

Pam Bilodeau said...

I am not sure where you live but some people have trouble with mice nesting in there in the fall and winter. We have a fifth wheel camper but I have a craft room :)